Can I Buy You A Drink?

In conjunction with Octoberfest, here are 10 facts about drinking you should know before you hit that bottle hard.

Image: lesliepng

There are 3 ways to measure legal limit of alcohol content in our body for driving.

(a) 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 milliliters of breath;

(b) 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of blood; or

(c) 107 milligrams of alcohol in 100 milliliters of urine.

Image: serene_serenity

Do take note that the legal limits allowed for driving are very subjective.

It depends on the individual’s gender, physique and metabolism rate.

Image: melissatanlh

What is Alcohol By Volume (ABV)

It is used to measure the content of alcohol in a drink. A beer rated with 5% ABV means the other 95% is water or non-alcoholic content.

Image: sxnflxwer_

One standard drink per hour is the recommended limit to stay legal for driving.

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) defines a standard drink as 354ml of beer at 4.5% ABV or 148ml of wine at 12% ABV.

Image: zoeypky

For Men…

It takes about four standard drinks an hour to reach the 0.08% BAC (Blood Alcohol Content)limit.

Image: lucaseelau

For Women…

It takes about three standard drinks an hour to reach the 0.08% BAC limit.

Image: sueannekang

A drunk driver is 13 times more likely to cause an accident compared to a sober driver.

The Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research released a study reporting 23.3% of drivers in fatal accidents were tested positive for alcohol.

Image: sherlyn_mama

The consequences of getting caught driving under the influence of alcohol is…

A fine of up to RM10,000 and a maximum imprisonment period of up to 12 months.

Image: elizabethtsm

It is best to have your own breathalyzer kit.

A breathalyzer kit will cost you around RM60 to RM100 but will save you a lot of trouble.

Image: Giphy

Alcohol poisoning/overdose can cause irreversible brain damage or even death.

Rapid binge drinking is especially dangerous. Alcohol poisoning happens when your BAC hits 0.250-0.399%

Image: linoralow

Happy Octoberfest!

Enjoy and drink responsibly to avoid any un- pleasantries.

Image: iuking_saw